Clapper failure information request

billy_clarke03 billy_clarke03 at uL5MYT5gVOJ7X8zbx4U9ZO-1acxUJ4njM50elDfVcL1Mojs-rOfUVdQ8sB_gMLP5fHbV0MIVNQ-dHbPpgoEv5zGKKhY.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 9 14:10:50 GMT 2006

Having read an article in the RW Feb 24th 2006, page 171 (Worcester
Cathedral Tenor Clapper, A Treatise by Bob Smith) I'm intrigued by
the failure figure of 1.5% quoted therein.  I suspect that if
specific data were available on the service life of clappers in
bells weighing over 30 cwt, the figure might somehow be different.

What is the average replacement cost of clappers for large change
ringing bells (is it approximately £1000 UK?) I wonder how many of
these bells have had their clappers replaced once, twice, three
times etc...  There are at about 100 or so change ringing bells
(over 30 cwts) hung world wide.  If people who know of details of
failed clappers in heavy bells are willing to share some information
it might be interesting to try and estimate the total sum of money
spent in replacing shattered clappers over the last 30 years.

Would this sum of money be?

1.	less than
2.	equivalent to
3.	greater than

the cost of buying a complete new ring of 12 bells with a tenor of
approximately 30cwts?

I've wondered what sort of data might be meaningful and useful for
this purpose.  I have some information on 5 clappers which I know of
that have failed, such as;

1.	Bell Weight (cwts)

2.	No. of Years in service (year in which failure occurred
minus year of installation)

3.	Estimated no. of strokes  (based on a estimated weekly
average value x 52 x no. of years service)

4.	* Replacement cost (sterling)

* Note that in some cases the supplier has offered to replace the
clapper at their cost where it has failed.

If anyone with information on the above cares to send it to me in an
email I would be willing to put it into spreadsheet format.

Regards,

Billy Clarke.