[Bell Historians] Re: Groton, Massachusetts USA

edward martin edward.w.martin at AYpOGjhYThnBfmqbwXu8U5tGqJcxLcCs0eq8MTzJr-_ILJcgaB3CSF0yTDmashR3QH7Sso56ktZJw5CBAY3iLw.yahoo.invalid
Mon May 22 18:11:28 BST 2006

Don't know about wax, but Washington Cathedral tenor is indeed a beautiful
bell to handle IF the others don't hold up too much. Recently we have been
trying to improve our 10 bell rhythm with me on said bell. She purrs like a
kitten when rung just short of the balance indeed, last night I turned her
in to  some very brisk DNCB Major (3 bobs on the 6)

When I first came to Washington (in 1968) I believe that there was no carpet
in the ringing room, but the ceiling was covered in asbestos. About a decade
later this was removed at great expense and the result was that the sound
tended to bounce around a bit. Then was installed wall-wall carpet which
again affected the percieved sound.  I don't believe anything else has been
done since they were installed in 1964 other than to (shame) board up the
louvres on all sides which was done some 30 years ago The bells are barely
audible from across Wisconsin Avenue. A pity we cant get adjustable sound
control but there we are.

Eddie Martin