[Bell Historians] frames, formerly Warners bearings, formerly Groton, use of list.

Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK) roderic.bickerton at gJj79R8sh4we3nh1KmLa96HWcKB6nQf2bM7JYzQ6HMqWQb8AOzn9CDFZpzO7PPCXtvbfrWNS3eO-nL-QqMzqjmP_xzzKa18.yahoo.invalid
Tue May 23 09:34:23 BST 2006

Having had the pleasure of being steeple keeper on a Warner installation
and looked at a fair number, what is surprising is that later Warner
installations used much more wood or steel than any other hanger and
still managed to produce unstable frames. There foundry work and tuning
was no better or worse than much of similar date but engineers they were
not.
The Victorian era saw some very innovative and successful bell hanging
from companies great and small at a time when Warner's were still using
vertical posts in wood frames and traditional ring and single bolt
secured gudgeons.

>  and did those wonderful 'gimbal' bearings at York Minster ever work?

Apparently they made the bells go like the sides of houses. I think they
might have been used on the original 12 at Buckfast as well.

David

Yahoo! Groups Links

You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.  See
how.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/80xwlB/TM