[Bell Historians] frames, formerly Warners bearings, formerly Groton, use of list.

Ernie Runciman bells at STwch4dgGiLm634s97Ddu27pYx2fPTd9WJ7io6ku95EvQ01D8w7M7mRGkmP9-0r-bhIhmapfENFn8w.yahoo.invalid
Tue May 23 11:37:42 BST 2006

I'll second that.

When we took the Warners wooden frame out of Tuebrook, we had a
chance to have a good look at its construction.

I felt that the tenons of the mortice joints on the legs of the A
frames were very short for the size of the leg, and only held in
place by two pegs in to the top and bottem rails. There were short
jack braces on all the A frame legs, but their tenons were not pegged.

Most alarming was the fact that there were no end sections for the
outside of the pits on the four corners of the frame, thus in effect
making the outer side frames for bells 3/4 and 6/7 almost independent
of the rest of the frame.

No wonder it walked around the tower.

Ernie

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Bickerton, Roderic K
\(SELEX\) \(UK\)" <roderic.bickerton at ...> wrote:

> Having had the pleasure of being steeple keeper on a Warner
installation
> and looked at a fair number, what is surprising is that later Warner
> installations used much more wood or steel than any other hanger and
> still managed to produce unstable frames. There foundry work and
tuning
> was no better or worse than much of similar date but engineers they
were
> not.
> The Victorian era saw some very innovative and successful bell
hanging
> from companies great and small at a time when Warner's were still
using
> vertical posts in wood frames and traditional ring and single bolt
> secured gudgeons.
>
> >  and did those wonderful 'gimbal' bearings at York Minster ever
work?

> Apparently they made the bells go like the sides of houses. I think
they
> might have been used on the original 12 at Buckfast as well.
>
> David
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

~-->
> You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.
See