Mallaby

George Dawson george at EBkSsNQ8W2qlysf0L-hW3qBXq4icLdh67W_OFBIrFvrDfcoDnkETaxDz2hZL_jF--g9D4e9s_vol1vToVdjL1Tf4-sUiVv4.yahoo.invalid
Sat May 27 15:19:50 BST 2006

I'm surprised to see Mallaby so highly rated!
They had the good idea of setting frames out for future augmentations as can
be seen in many places, but generally they are too flimsy, the sills are too
thin and braces are often too slight, Kirby Malhams frame was typical in all
respects, and has, of course, now gone.
Their (plain} bearing housings were well thought out as well.

GAD

> The Mallabys were, in my opinions, the finest late-Victorian
> bellhangers anywhere and the standard of their work is excellent.

Not always.  Their frame at Brough is badly under-engineered.

> Most of the Mallaby work is to be found in Yorkshire and neighbouring
> counties, but they did occasionally work as far afield as Bath.

And Wroxeter, Shropshire, with pronounced gudgeon/bearing knock.

C D