[Bell Historians] Alton Towers

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at lZ0AJzMTrHA6CcD3VdXjnRB5i9cypraOUkjQ3CbdmoSMLg8pdpMywlzPSPLVqVDmLvHnJ6trs3lQ6hWYSmKUdHb0.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 6 12:05:39 GMT 2006

>From: "David Sloman" <david at 3OBA-UDybHr9cMBcQKHp3mVPdQF_vbXuWw6xSeccNISmCdbo4ymq6VpIz6BKyxAw64J8olpuhNHVqQ4tF7o2GyUecNrrLtpL.yahoo.invalid>
>To: <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Alton Towers
>Date: Wed, Nov 1, 2006, 9:51 am
>

>     There may be more than one bell at Alton Towers, I have a note, also
> from CJP, of a T. Mears 11 bell of 1840 weighing 8-1-25.
>
> DS.
>
>     Does anyone know the details of the bell that sits just inside the door
> of the Hex 'ride' at Alton Towers?    I could just make out the words
> 'under London' and the date 1840 on the inscription band but it was too
> dark to see anyomore.

This bell was still hung in the chapel tower when I visited in October 1973.
There were no other bells then in evidence, but at a house like this it
would not be surprising to find a call bell on the roof somewhere in
addition to the chapel bell (cf Tyntesfield).

C D