Citations for RW references

Bill Hibbert bill at 2YA7HU4MvI_eJMCrh0LQW0SQdUGUFqP10oL46PkhON9YpogEkXU1TyJd-S15MgYs9SisbPRwxp1CwbX0hQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 13 22:50:44 GMT 2006

Chris Pickford:

> ... I find that the Ringing World is often cited by issue number

I'm not pretenting to set any policy in my reply to this, just
provide some excuses!

It's quite common in the publishing world (and in the RW) to refer to
issue numbers rather than dates, at least for weekly publications.
This is very meaningful for those directly involved in production,
but not at all meaningful, as Chris points out, for the general
reader.

When I rebuilt peals.co.uk to add all the extra facilities 20 months
ago (and what a job that was!) the 20 years of data inherited from
William Hall used issue and page numbers as a means of reference. I
continued this practice because a) it makes it straightforward to
maintain the data in the RW office, because they work with issue
numbers, and b) it avoided some significant changes to the software
that displays the web pages. It is easy to translate in software
between issue numbers and dates (there is some software in
peals.co.uk that does this) but I didn't want to change all the page
layouts on the website.

The ringing world refs in Felstead are provided via an electronic
feed from peals.co.uk, which means it uses the same format.

It would be interesting to know the strength of feeling for a change,
if and when we are next doing significantr software changes to the
site.

Regards,

Bill H