[Bell Historians] Rudhall Rings

Samuel Austin combineharvestersam at rzuWgMx_40uUJvd3LQUQLpIyyqaBD8yCIUPg0124xSzTojoO-andrVqw96g62huC1UYIh1HXZ7CqKuHVK64CiaD7Rclh5GU.yahoo.invalid
Tue Nov 14 22:54:20 GMT 2006

Would it be worth compiling a list of complete Rudhall
rings (unless someone has already!)?

I really like rings cast by both Abraham Rudhalls.

Rings like St Giles Lincoln and Wrexham are truly
superb, plus the many other lesser known rings of 5
and. 6

Abel Rudhall wasn't bad but the tonal quality of the
bells seems to get worse the later they were cast,
some of John Rudhall's bells aren't particularly
tuneful

Aye

Sam

--- Peter Rivet <peter at eWjcog_5NI3nrmA5h9FFmqmHo_RgFK1mzL3OrF1OALEdVEjoGFHorZjisRCSMYyqy2S4JQNG9FDAFgBIaw.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> When Fred Sharpe wrote up Herefordshire bells he
> commented that complete
> rings of bells by the Rudhalls were becoming rare,
> and Mary Bliss in her
> Gloucestershire book notes that the back six at
> Prestbury (Abel Rudhall
> 1748) are the only complete ring by him remaining in
> the Diocese.
>
> However they are by no means extinct.  Near
> Lancaster we have complete
> Rudhall rings at Cockerham (6) which are all Abel
> Rudhall 1748 and Melling
> (6) which are Abel Rudhall 1753-4.  We also have the
> back six of the eight
> at Hornby, which were cast at the Gloucester foundry
> during the period when
> it was under Francis Tyler's management in 1761.
>
> And at Boston (Mass) the eight at Old North Church
> are as I understand it
> still a complete Abel Rudhall eight of 1744.
>
> Peter Rivet

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index