[Bell Historians] Rudhall Rings

edward martin edward.w.martin at YHdMJsTfQDXPeKZtNobGxmkbK9Q3Hdy8exjGRfm6MIo8FX5Gy-2pWdPE1HWlIZF_clk6x8K863frt2mbooaIWHHO.yahoo.invalid
Tue Nov 14 20:02:21 GMT 2006

>From the Old North Website:
"The eight bells of Old North (*with inscriptions*) are:

  Bell 1 (Treble) F       5 cwt  2 qrs  4 lbs

 *Abel Rudhall, of Glocester, cast us all, Anno 1744.*

Bell 2          E       5 cwt  2 qrs  6 lbs

 *Since generosity has opened our mouths, our tongues shall ring aloud its
praise. 1744.*

Bell 3          D       6 cwt  1 qrs  3 lbs

 *The subscription for these bells was begun by John Hannmock and Robert
Temple, Church Wardens, Anno 1743; completed by Robert Jenkins and John
Gould, church Wardens, Anno 1744.*

Bell 4          C       7 cwt  1 qrs  3 lbs

 *William Shirley, Esq., Governor of the Massachusetts Bay, in New England.
Anno 1744.*

Bell 5          B flat  7 cwt  1 qrs 21 lbs

 *God preserve the Church of England. 1744.*

Bell 6          A       8 cwt  1 qrs 24 lbs

 *We are the first ring of bells cast for the British Empire in North
America. A.R. 1744. *

Bell 7          G      10 cwt  2 qrs 24 lbs

 *This Church was founded in the year 1723. Timothy Cutler, DD, the first
Rector, A.R. 1744.*

Bell 8 (Tenor)  F      13 cwt  3 qrs  5 lbs

 *This peal of eight bells is the gift of a number of generous persons to
Christ Church, in Boston, N.E. Anno 1744. A.R.  "*  cheers
mew