[Bell Historians] Great Bells of Britain

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at whenNscQqqrRiZkTgsuuSa4RwuzdMpUrGrkuyJnyTpWEQE8u-InVrT88QCFcRZtpc5EhgknT6pR7TDmhoKBk9om22ijR.yahoo.invalid
Sun Nov 19 10:52:50 GMT 2006

CSZ notes "that the definition of "great bell" floats in more than one way"

Yes, my list does go down to one ton and below - but CSZ shouldn't infer that that's how I define a great bell. Hadn't actually given it much thought, but I'd probably plump for the two-ton mark if pressed. My list originated for the purposes I explained the other day, and in its present form it clearly covers more than just "great" bells. Maybe I should re-name it, or at least add an explanatory note. But in the meantime, please stop thinking that my criterion for the term great bell starts at a ton - it doesn;t, and never has!

CP