Great Bells of Britain

Bill Hibbert bill at S48PMq1Tb-ATHAYULBrJcVnnOEfA6OWbIZ4NSdE5unymxGSn6uY5WOGP2LWeGVvYqVu0Gbz2XswhdhbADg.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 20 20:30:44 GMT 2006

I note the debate there has been about the update this year of the
RW 'Great Bells' list. It was certainly not my intention to cause any
offence (to DLC in particular) and if such has been caused I
apologise. I can appreciate what a big task it must have been to
create the original list from its many sources.

Someone else (not on this list) was originally asked to do the update
to the list in the diary and my advice was sought when he declined. I
was given the impression that the list had not been updated for some
years, and so I started with the nearest diary that came to hand
(1997). David was not acknowledged that year and I'm afraid I was
unaware of his previous involvement.

In my defence I did seek the opinions of this list (in April, as I
recall) and was given help by several subscribers, especially as
regards the existence or otherwise of the Sunderland bell.

As has been pointed out, the criterion for inclusion in the diary is
the need to fit the list on two pages. In these days of scalable
fonts that's not the problem it once was, and there is a convenient
break at 50cwt. According to my calculations the larger of the new
Cobh bells should join the list at 2 tons 16 cwt 3 qr 22 lbs and I
will add it.

Regards,

Bill H