Major third bells

Richard Offen richard at lEGIbIuKcUW2v08YY85gdDH5YtnAtHSxPONr429QNQ409eaVpa_iLwceh6Q_AUulOAl_TficQg.yahoo.invalid
Tue Oct 17 06:58:47 BST 2006

> Are there any rings of major third bells?  If so, where?
>
> Carl

One that I know of: Rainhill, St Ann, 6, 1-3-16 in G, cast by
Eijsbouts in 1995.   I've not rung on them but assume they follow the
normal pattern for Eijsbouts major-third bells and have a second
shoulder about two-thirds of the way up the bell.

As Chris Dalton so rightly says, bells with major-thirds do not have
to have this curious extra shoulder.   Whitechapel certainly cast
major-third bells without and others may do so as well.

Personally, I must admit to not being all that impressed by the sound
of bells with a major-third, the tone being far too 'fluty' for my
liking - but then our ears are so accustomed to the characteristic
minor-third bells that anything different sounds odd.   Other
musicians, not accustomed to traditional bell sounds, would probably
think that a major-third was a positive improvement on the minor-
third which many find most disconcerting when they hear it!

Richard