One N or two?

Andrew Higson andrew_higson at hS2eXeEhq0kb4FZxM7DYc2h1mNISh8XlZISpUyFMavzOw243begDwyTBriR01rus2YSSYxA7HsmESlcoNLw19NZaOjNistgf.yahoo.invalid
Thu Sep 14 14:21:06 BST 2006

One of the discrepancies that has occurred since our merger is one of
spelling. The Taylor side has always spelt "canons" with one N, however
David Marshall is insistent that there are two but, whilst it is true he
has been around longer than the rest of us, we remain unswayed and
unconvinced.

However, looking on an on line dictionary his version would seem to be
correct.

Then again, looking at all the eminent publications of recent years, one
N seems to be the normal spelling. Messers Dalton, Dawson, Eisel,
Jennings, Ketteringham, Pickford and Sharpe to mention but a few fall
into this camp.

Paul Cattermole is the exception that I came across, siding with DJM.

Is this a question without satisfactory answer or can anyone be
definitive?

Cheers

Andrew Higson
Bellmaster