[Bell Historians] Re: Trinity New york

edward martin edward.w.martin at Cc70HJhQsHqm9-S5uwdhT4i0CXZt9eC5JjVMaiOFAnrvAwC8bac3ypYuO7mFLA-TdDt-z5EAQksScSPRcdG4gaBCKw.yahoo.invalid
Sat Sep 16 13:38:44 BST 2006

On 9/16/06, Richard Offen <richard at cW_hwtiS2psHuFrN1-lePUJjs4TbKYzDoqY0n3SBSglH3CY2eqFQd9Bd2htKoyWDJcZmAFzylw.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>   I agree with Richard In fact when they were announced in detail what
> with ringers'names on bells etc I wondered all very fine, I suppose but what
> happens when the hoopla is finished & they've gone back to ring in England?

Then Tim Barnes posted a letter to the NAG chat list which filled me with
hope. I've taken the liberty of copying some of his posting & forwarding it
to you:

quote:
We hope that with its prominent location, Trinity Church will
attract visiting ringers from North America and around the world.
To that end, arrangements are being made to ensure the bells are
readily available to capable ringers and bands wishing to visit,
including those wishing to attempt peals. Trinity is surrounded on
all four sides by tall buildings, both office and residential, and
effective sound control is therefore essential for enabling extended
ringing. The gift by the Dill Faulkes Educational Trust includes a
comprehensive sound control system that will be operated using
electric motors, and Trinity Church has engaged a New York firm of
acoustical engineers to advise on sound levels and acoustics, and to
take measurements to verify the effectiveness of the sound control.

Regular service ringing will commence on Sunday November 4th. We
will be ringing after the second service, starting at 12.30pm.
Practice night will be Wednesday from 6.30 – 8.30pm, commencing Nov
8th, and, in due course, we hope to establish a dedicated beginners'
practice on Tuesdays from 6.30 – 8.30pm.

We plan to hold the first general ringing over the weekend of New
Year's Eve. The intention is to combine a planned visit by a peal
band from Birmingham, England, with three days of general ringing by
members of the NAGCR and other visitors. This will mean there will
be plenty of experienced 12-bell ringers present during this weekend
to add their expertise to the ringing. Plans are at an early stage,
but we hope to start the event on the evening of Friday December
29th, and finish on the afternoon of Monday January 1st. Further
details to follow. Because this event is dependent on the effective
operation of the sound control, please do not make any non-
refundable travel arrangements until the event is confirmed. We
will also be looking into accommodation options for visiting
ringers, recognizing the cost of hotels in NYC at that time of year.

A very important part of the ringing program at Trinity will be the
establishment of training programs for new ringers, and also for
more experienced ringers wishing to develop their 12-bell ringing
skills. As well as having a simulator attached to the 12 bells,
there will be a dumb-bell and simulator in the parish hall for
training purposes. In addition, video facilities are being
installed to enable beginners to see the relationship between rope
movements and bell movements, and to help correct handling faults.

Trinity Church has its own media department and operates an
extensive web-site. This includes the web-casting of certain
Trinity services. Both the dedication service and the initial peal
attempts will be web-cast on the church's web-site at
www.trinitywallstreet.org . Over time we expect the bells and
ringers to feature regularly as part of the Sunday Service web-casts.

Trinity Church is located at the intersection of Wall Street and
Broadway, with the tower facing East along Wall St. There will be
views from the ringing chamber on three sides out of the existing
clock-windows. Air-conditioning and heating will make it a
comfortable place at any season of the year.

A working group comprising Trinity staff and some New York area
ringers is meeting regularly to develop plans for the ringing and
the training of a band. We will provide further updates as events
unfold over the coming weeks.

Tim Barnes (Ringing Master-elect)
Tony Furnivall (Tower Captain-elect)
September 11th, 2006

end of quote

mew

I sincerely hope that Holy Trinity, New York don't turn out to be 'just