[Bell Historians] Heythrop (was Re: Call for papers on ... bell-casting?)

Richard Offen richard at JJwIfhI6NJcFLaWK1Ba59gY2DJFdteIgW5FH31LN0rkDZtMiCL5-e6f9BiwsQ8IyMEtlZ8zP6A.yahoo.invalid
Sun Sep 24 21:03:12 BST 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Nick Bowden"
<nickwbowden at ...> wrote:

> From: Richard Offen
> >
> > Although he tuned the treble (and 2nd?) at Heythrop, Oxon.
> > Nick
> >
> Did he, or has someone else?
>
> In the interests of accuracy (having checked Ranald Clouston's
notes instead
> of relying on my failing memory), TC Lewis tuned the 2nd and tenor
at
> Heythrop, not the treble. According to RWMC they were "turned
shoulder to
> mid soundbow."
> Nick

This is all most interesting!

Having tuned these bells and most of the bells at Roehampton, why did
he suddenly stop tuning?   All the bells at Shipbourne and Kingsbury
(it is said he cast nearly 20 bells before he had an eight he was
satified with for this job!)are most definitely maidens.

One would have thought that, having gone to the expense of installing
a tuning machince, Lewis would have continued to use it.   Or, at
Heythrop and Roehampton, are we seeing tuning done by another party
subsequent to the original installation?

Richard