Carillonneur vs. carillonist

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at O4MzqHovSYD3arso0rYcDVSnna1cEZm0xwrekie7HqsYCrF1sNGTOn6voOwMKcvOlmw0w12O8oCNiA.yahoo.invalid
Mon Sep 25 14:23:25 BST 2006

At 06:32 +0000 06/09/22, Richard Offen wrote (subject "[Bell
Historians] Re: Call for papers on ... bell-casting?"):
>--- In
><mailto:bellhistorians%40yahoogroups.com>bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com,
>Carl S Zimmerman <csz_stl at ...>
>wrote:
>>
>>  A fellow carillonist has drawn my attention to a forthcoming series
>>  of conferences, to be held annually in Oxford from 2007 to 2010.
>
>Why have you all suddenly become 'carillonists'? What was wrong
>with 'carillonneurs'?

_____

"All" is too much of a generalization.  The GCNA remains The Guild of
Carillonneurs in North America, and I remain a Carillonneur Member of
the GCNA.  However, there are a number of carillon aficionados
(myself included) who regard the word "carillonneur" as an accident
of history, and the word "carillonist" as more appropriate for the
English language.  For more details, see
http://www.gcna.org/data/Glossary.html

Carl