Carillonneur vs. carillonist

Richard Offen richard at rzTkKlilixwZ38uBqOGY2T5-slDWPv21oEjzkShB0nuAQQzaMoGJG_PqXZlIui5U82KooS6W.yahoo.invalid
Tue Sep 26 23:05:54 BST 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Carl S Zimmerman <csz_stl at ...>

40yahoogroups.com>bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com,
> >Carl S Zimmerman <csz_stl@>
> >wrote:
> >>
> >>  A fellow carillonist has drawn my attention to a forthcoming
series
> >>  of conferences, to be held annually in Oxford from 2007 to 2010.
> >
> >Why have you all suddenly become 'carillonists'? What was wrong
> >with 'carillonneurs'?

> _____
>
> "All" is too much of a generalization.  The GCNA remains The Guild
of
> Carillonneurs in North America, and I remain a Carillonneur Member
of
> the GCNA.  However, there are a number of carillon aficionados
> (myself included) who regard the word "carillonneur" as an accident
> of history, and the word "carillonist" as more appropriate for the
> English language.  For more details, see
> http://www.gcna.org/data/Glossary.html
>
> Carl

As Ed has said, just about every word in the English language is an
accident of history and it seems to me that our friends across the
Pond are causing a good number of the accidents these days!

I fully realise that English, like most other languages, is evolving
all the time (I can nearly cope with split infinitives nowadays!),
but why do we have to make up new words when perfectly good ones
already exist?   Another example is 'envision' ...what was wrong with
envisage?

Taking the 'ist' ending to its logical musical conclusion, are we in
future to refer to Ringo Starr as the former drummist with the
Beatles?

Yours,

Mr Grumpy!