[Bell Historians] Re: Carillonneur vs. carillonist

Anne Willis zen16073 at GPmICmAtQk8FsFCXQgzAkYn7jMXzaSsTLCPcvppGUcS9xoINwIBozf2rzXYy4Y_JV7xhsCMXwZpq.yahoo.invalid
Wed Sep 27 15:40:06 BST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Andrew Wilby
Sent: 27 September 2006 15:13
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Re: Carillonneur vs. carillonist

My understanding is that it was a little more structured than just adding a
bit to the existing mix. For a start there was quite a rupture and the
language by which the country was governed change and has never reverted.

Also I'm not sure about the Celtic reference as there seems to have been
much more of an ethnic cleanse as the Romano-brit population was pushed to
the western fringes? Some authorities suggest that there are only about 7
Celtic words left. I can't name them all without research but Avon and
Coombe (Cwm) are a couple.

I suppose most are in place names including Kennet, and lots of other river
names; London; Lympne (Kent).  There's also brock, and maybe hog, as in
hedgehog.

There's also that counting system; yan, tyan, sethera, ...which a shepherd
taught my daughter in her sheep-keeping days.

AW