[Bell Historians] Carillonneur vs. carillonist

edward martin edward.w.martin at w8zBo_bCy4Sq027p7wpwR9voMlGqNz6kwBo1F45CqM15FMJ8VVmOP2lnrfCOztAaNyK0-VS7H9_7vh2ngkCEVUcc9Q.yahoo.invalid
Mon Sep 25 19:58:02 BST 2006

"Of French derivation, the term "carillonneur" has long been used in the
English language, and obviously forms the basis for the name of The Guild of
Carillonneurs of North America (GCNA).  It is found in most unabridged
English dictionaries, is unambiguous, and is understood by all
English-speaking aficionados of the carillon.

However, some carillon players prefer the term "carillonist" as being more
appropriate in the English language.  This is analogous to flute players
preferring "flutist" over the French/Italian "flautist".  There is
historical evidence for the term "carilloner" having been used by some
American *chime* players in the 19th century, but that seems to modern ears
to be as awkward as "fluter".  This may be because of the way that
specialized words for instrumental musicians are related to their respective
root words."

Can't really argue with that; However, your noting that "there are a number
of carillon aficionados (myself included) who regard the word "carillonneur"
as an accident of history, and the word "carillonist" as more appropriate
for the English language." certainly should remind us all  that every word
used in the English language cxould be said to be 'an accident of history'!
and if enough  use the word 'carrilonist' or even 'carilloner' then either
one may well take precedence over the (I would have thought very well)
established 'carillonneur'

It's sort ve like preferring to spell bell cannons with only one n dispite
the historical evidence that to me suggests that it really ought to have
two! or yet again of spelling 'gravy'  which by all accounts was introduced
to the English language by a scribe who probably misread  the word  'grane'
or 'graue' and wrote 'gravy'  Oddly enough, just adding 'ist' on the end of
the word 'carillon' doesn't make it any more English than ''carillonneur''
because both forms exist in the French, even though the Fr would pronunce
'ist' to sound as if spelt 'eeest'   :-)

mew