Carillonneur v Carillonist

Andrew Wilby andrew at TwxkT9GWLY4FhoNjOB8IcVzI1Ljdgiewm10HzEZz0XKS2uUmf3JXbFvr6qeWPRXSmVd1Gpi3SyhJenOVxg.yahoo.invalid
Thu Sep 28 19:09:50 BST 2006

CZ
<I find it very curious that some British people are eager to use French
words in English but
are at the same time resentful of the occasional Americanised word. >

Oh dear! Ahem... pst....

As I tried to point out, French words in English tend to be identified with
the higher cultural things in life, except for those entering the language
in times of war (which is quite a big percentage of the last 1000 years)
when everything bad gets attributed to your enemy, and of course anything to
do with sex for which we seem to hold the French in high esteem.
(French pox, or French kiss, French letter etc) The Spanish and Germans also
come in for a bit of it but we haven't been at war with them quite so much.

On the other hand one can only apologise and say that the same does not seem
to hold with Americanisms.

(whisper... afraid its a class thing old boy! :-)