[Bell Historians] Somerset Bellfounders.

David Bryant davidbryant at igh-oT2xDuVmeYpIvscQl2bQxnbTpD_RkgFw_12YKG4dutOKBHcFLDV_uWFnd1mgHd1yqNJtrz39WUgSrXXA.yahoo.invalid
Fri Apr 20 19:26:42 BST 2007

> Does anyone know who the last Somerset bellfounder was and when the last
bell(s) were cast? (Excluding the recent Bowditch bells).

There are a few (only two or three survive, from memory) by a Taunton
brassfounder named Roger Savory - 2/6 at Creech St Michael, 1838, is one of
his. I'm pretty sure Tolland 2/3 is another although details aren't on Dove.

The Creech bell is an odd shape (domed crown, very short waist), and has
every appearance of a typical brassfounder's product so I think it is
reasonable to assume that it was actually cast by Savory rather than by a
regular bellfounder for him. It's an absolute bucket, it must be said!

Then there is the set of bells including Yeovilton tenor, which claims to be
cast by Petter of Yeovil - others in this set bear the names of several
other 'founders'. I don't believe anybody really knows who actually cast
them or where, but Chris Dalton knows more about them than anyone else.