Stretch tuning

Bill Hibbert bill at R15yoAPZujoH45gdduFHnyTkwyT_5WfJuPbvDLWtRZpu96msHHFfl3VgGQGq9d49f1zqjeVggIyDHnk.yahoo.invalid
Sun Dec 2 12:04:59 GMT 2007

Mark Regan:

> The best 12s with stretched trebles for this period are Pier Head
and Evesham. Their figures may help...

I don't have the figures for Pierhead. Evesham are interesting, the
back ten are not stretched at all. The trebles have tentative
sharpening (21 cents in the treble, 13 cents in the second) but not
full stretch. Here's a list of peals and dates, the figure quoted is
the average stretch in cents per octave:

Evesham (1951) - 0.06 cents back ten, 7.1 cents all 12
Cambridge (tuned 1952) - 25.4 cents
Tewkesbury (1962) - 25.8 cents
Melbourne (tuned 1962) - 27.1 cents.

I could go on at length about this, with more examples ...

However, I asked a different question. Does anyone know the approach
used in Taylor's foundry / tuning shop to decide how much to stretch
these peals? A first-hand account would be brilliant.

Regards,

Bill H