Stretch tuning from Whitechapel

Richard Offen richard.offen at R49f-JdeO9Od_4qfxQFS5kOqnLZz9-gGu7KTdYoa9lqKSl-F0d6SoVMTwN39qrCzAtGCcX1q29kRYz6FvtG8uW8H5Mbp.yahoo.invalid
Fri Dec 7 00:49:58 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hibbert" <bill at ...>
wrote:

> Richard:
> > A quick mental calculation, from the nominal figures give in
> the 'on-line' Dove...
>
> I don't happen to have the figures for Cripplegate to hand. For the
> others I have:
>
> Cornhill: 20.8 cents per octave
> Great Yarmouth: 7.0 cents per octave
> Bow: 1.9 cents per octave.
>
> These are average values for the whole peal, done by carrying out a
> regression fit against (in this case) Just tuning. Any one pair of
> bells (e.g. 5th against tenor) may give different values due to
> errors in tuning.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill H

Interesting!   Cornhill are considerably more stretched than I'd
expect.   The trebles are fairly thick; could this have something to
do with it?

It's several years since I last rang there, but I don't ever remember
the trebles jarring in the way I'd expect from bells 20 cents sharp.