Old Wolverton

Richard Offen richard.offen at OWKD4MDO-46M-LZZ6U-bL9X-aLO4Jr4Pjffz9yWf6V4yMbTgRei5SZl_MNdAytxAjjyraha7ew2CO1wCR3FW64RV.yahoo.invalid
Sat Dec 15 14:28:34 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hibbert" <bill at ...> wrote:

> I was passing through Old Wolverton the other day, as you do, and
> stopped for a ring on this anti-clockwise Briant six of 1820. I was
> taken with the sound of the bells which I thought was quite good for
> the date. The bells were rehung by Whitechapel in 1951. Joyce Dodds
> in 'Hertfordshire Bellfounders' describes the bells as largely
> untouched. Does anyone know if they were retuned in 1951 - looking at
> the tuning figures, I found it hard to decide.
>
> Bill H

I'm not sure if they were, but Briant bells usually tune up very well,
as is demonstrated by the Briant six at Bierton in Buckinghamshire, and
indeed did Honolulu Cathedral.