[Bell Historians] was Charlton Adam

Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK) roderic.bickerton at NYaNk8YXeIPnCkoR3OvKo761RbVMOv8iJRKzVzrl-lwMclygI0kM8gyLXxb5amJstiHA2LH-LDedDLxzaDNAn8xBQ4D4rw.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 15 15:25:43 GMT 2007

What is going on up there (Yorkshire).
The priorities are well known.

1
Secure the building, that is fix roofing bird netting and access and
anything that is in danger structural failure.

2
Take it down or make it safe.
That means take down or fix anything liable to brake during normal
access, like rotting floors, or bell frame supports or other structures
not essential to the stability of the building.
It dose not cover H&S.

3 Recovery & Set to work.
H&S issues and things necessary, for example the bells and other tower
fittings to be "set to work."

I can think of a three in North Yorkshire where the situation is
similar.
They were 'restored' for swing chiming (without a faculty) within the
last
decade or so, but the frame foundation beams are so rotten that in
places
they are largely non-existent and this has not been addressed. The
churchwarden who let us in to have a look was obviously proud of the
fact
that they'd had work done on their bells and we didn't really feel we
could
say anything - how do you tactfully tell a church that they've wasted
the
money? I did tell the diocesan bells adviser, who said that unless he
received a complaint from the parish there was nothing he could do,
despite
the lack of a faculty. I left it at that - not much else I could do.