[Bell Historians] Charlton Adam, Somerset

Peter Humphreys pfh at 0FCchR6KVsmcRRi45kp_ntOk2ttm34zPTa268EMfdY9orrPEzDLDbyTtfpq1eCzd9PMqf4IssuYVOQWm1Iph.yahoo.invalid
Sat Feb 17 11:05:11 GMT 2007

Sorry to come in a bit late on this - I prefer to leave items on this list
unread for a while and then read through all the responses. In this way I
get a better understanding of the subject discussed. I am not an engineer
nor an architect so do not understand much of the technical detail.

I have a somewhat simplistic approach to preservation of church bells. They
are musical instruments created to generate musical sounds of a unique
nature which are very much part of our heritage. All else should be
secondary to this.

The people genuinely interested is SEEING what is being preserved are
enthusiasts such as members on this list :-). For the vast majority - the
public and, I suspect, most ringers - interest is confined to the SOUND of
bells.

I would not know how the numbers of 'listeners' compares with the number of
'viewers' but it must be many orders of magnitude.

So let us support preservation projects where they facilitate the sound of
the bells being heard. Any preservation which does not give this guarantee
should be strongly challenged.

Peter Humphreys