[Bell Historians] was Charlton Adam

Alan Birney alanjbirney at YBZ3_YbpSNDeVqc-tO08n5YdePNdHTpL_XBcRgVadMoTctFB_ILD-q-xTtZfs3hFTJxEpq47JZefQZ6UPwlSEqvpKGw.yahoo.invalid
Mon Feb 19 23:45:33 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "E. John Arthur" <john at ...>
wrote:

> In his postingl Rodney asked "What is going on up there
(Yorkshire)."

> To start with Yorkshire is a large geographical county with the
following Diocese:
> Wakefield, Sheffield, Bradford, Ripon & Leeds and York. All these
have independent DAC's and slightly differing rules about what can
and cannot be carried out without a Faculty. The York list can be
found at:
> http://www.denisontill.com/NR/rdonlyres/1EF20063-3F50-4BAF-A632-
EA4B257463D0/0/PRACTICEDIRECTION2005NO1AUG2005.pdf

> Picking up on what David was referring to I am fully aware that
there have been activities within York which I have discovered work
had been carried out which would properly be due a Faculty. Advisers
can only visit a parish after a request has come from the parish. In
some of these cases I know that work has been done after I had
visited and sent an advice report* to the parish. If work has been
done then I am sure the Archdeacons would want to follow this up,
however, we then move into the extremely difficult area of pastoral
care for many small and financially stretched small parishes. The
ultimate measure would be a Consistory Court hearing. These are both
costly and someone bears the cost and still would rarely get the job
done correctly.

> *Advice reports here are presented to the DAC and adopted. Having
been adopted are covered by liability insurance held by the Diocese.

> John Arthur

          Some valid points John. You are aware of at least one
location where the installation is dangerous before and after work
but have you actually seen the work for for yourself?. The Parish
has been ripped off and they probably think the bells have been
restored fully. The fact of the matter is that the frame is tall and
thin, one foundation beam under the Treble is rotten and virtually
non existant, thin small, narrow frame strenghtening brackets fitted
(with elongated holes) fastened on by m10 threaded rod, and three
qaurter wheels fitted (which are out of alingnment and loose) and
the garter holes are in the correct position to form a handstroke.in
all honesty, they are only suitable to be hung dead as they are.

       Its not a restoration, nor is rehanging a 2cwt lever chime of
two in a 2" by 2" pine frame on £8.00 Koyo light duty bearings,
which the same person has done- Sooner or later someone is going to
get hurt or killed or serious damage will occour.

Alan