[Bell Historians] Comical Reporting

Richard Offen richard.offen at 0nJLF7wnn3VjX_JvVulEqcTo6z3jZfox39fNxRBwW6xzWI0vBcmP1ZLr-hAIZ63KCXaWJTFV9QO8CHiXHohKoSs3Ew.yahoo.invalid
Fri Feb 23 08:38:22 GMT 2007

> I think that some bellhangers get away with poor workmanship
because the
> recipents of their are either too polite or ignorant to say
anything at the  time
> , and I have noticed a reluctance on the part of some ringers to
get the
> hanger back and sort out the problems they have left . [ In a
project I was
> heavily involved in the bellhanger didn't want any of the  locals
involved in the
> 'try-out' , and the T/C at the time was happy with that  . However
after
> politely pointing out that we were paying for the job I  insisted
that the locals
> were present . After all if one is buying a car  would you let the
owner test
> drive it him/herself ? As it turned out the  bellhanger did an
excellent job ]
> . Word of mouth does get around and if I  were having a job done
there are
> some firms that I wouldn't touch with a  bargepole . Not wishing of
course to
> find myself sued for libel I decline to  name any firm .
>

> Jim

A few years ago, I well remember a member of this list telling me
that he rang in the dedication touch of a ring which had just been
rehung with new fittings and frame.

He said the bell he rang had some very obvious defects.   A quiet
word with the Tower Captain provoked the response, "Well it always
used to go like the side of a house."

What else can you do?

I have always find it amazing that people who will quite happily take
their new car back a dozen times to get various squeaks and niggles
sorted out are quite happy to put up with whatever a bellhanger
leaves them with.   They will also take their new car back for
regular servicing ...no thought of doing the same with their bell
installation!

In my experience, most bellhangers try and do the best job they can,
but they are not psychic and if they're not told about a problem it's
rather hard for them to fix!

Ignorance is bliss!

Richard