[Bell Historians] Steelwork into masonary

Andrew Wilby andrew at AfgJTf9hWUs3KQNmR7-fzZe496_hpnXbYwsuiaiN9ZoI3Vu0qIAn-qPUAdAmQ-9SofYbTCaB3w53coE.yahoo.invalid
Mon Feb 26 11:16:37 GMT 2007

I was wondering if it might be possible to create a "British Standards"
standard for securing bell-frames into tower walls?

I have looked at the BS website but not seen anything to indicate how
you would go about it.

If there were such a standard it would be useful to refer to those
architects and structural engineer who try to re-invent the wheel and
possibly save much argument.

I had considerable trouble with the  New York based Structural Engineer
to the Trinity project who didn't want the bell-frame to touch the walls
at all if he could help it.

He thought that he should design the bell-frame in the first place.
After being coaxed away from that notion he wanted to know all the maths
involved in the design and insisted on minimising the number of holes in
the wall to the extent of compromising the basic design and no double
pockets so that the main beams had to be spliced in situ. A complete and
unnecessary dogs breakfast that ultimately ended up with two extra beams
and 24 chem-bolts into the walls. Don't mention the extra expense... but
in New York the Structural Engineer seems to be god and the Architect
reluctant to blow his nose without his permission.

At present every scheme is at risk of being dealt with as if it is a
first and the accumulated wisdom of the last 100 years is sometimes
difficult to bring to bear on the situation.

If there was a BS 5040 or something to which we could refer the
Architects etc. it would help a lot?

How do you create one? Is there a show stopper here?

Perhaps this is a task for the Towers & Belfries Committee to
co-ordinate with the Bell-hanging industry?

Andrew