[Bell Historians] Re: FW: a neglected tower

Andrew Higson andrew-higson at yzrcx2ETlG6r-s9AyA-LbDFHuZqPlLqPo4QvcIf74XDvIx-mYdh8pyuCnZ69fH8_aHYayXDbNG3RBet9S2WYSa0mxrn33tl59mQ.yahoo.invalid
Wed Feb 28 14:11:43 GMT 2007

As a former resident of Newcastle (the Staffordshire one) I always
thought that it would be worth while seeing how well the Hanley bells
would fit into the frame at St Giles. The average Rudhall back 8 would
probably go well somewhere in Richard's locale, releasing 2 G&J bells
and 2 WBF bells for other purposes and generating sufficient funds to
cast two G&J style trebles of 12. It does depend on getting the bells
out of the tower before it falls down. If you thought iron crownstaples
were bad for cracking bells - you should see what the ironwork in that
tower has done to the brickwork!

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Richard Offen
Sent: 28 February 2007 13:56
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: FW: a neglected tower

--- In bellhistorians@ <mailto:bellhistorians%40yahoogroups.com>
yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at ...> wrote:

> > Why on earth are the bells still in there?
>
> Rumour has it that it is due to local politics - perhaps someone in
the area
> knows more? I recall David Potter telling me that he tried to buy
the bells
> but they wouldn't sell them.
>
> David

You are absolutely right. There has always been very fierce
opposition locally to the bells, or even the peal boards, being moved
anywhere. At one point there was a plan to transfer ring to Stone
(the Staffordshire one), but this fell by the wayside because such a
fuss was kicked up in Hanley.

As has been said, the situation is deplorable, but the North
Staffordshire Association has tried very hard indeed to get things
sorted out.

Richard