[Bell Historians] Re: FW: a neglected tower

Richard Offen richard.offen at _cEI3AaAQ5YZ_Kx5Ihj-F6FKYou_hZ952ftE0kVhWv0-kmW3NfuVjCivBZVLwiboCXY-j6sJNLfjgjcYttAhtsQ.yahoo.invalid
Wed Feb 28 13:55:35 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at ...> wrote:

> > Why on earth are the bells still in there?
>
> Rumour has it that it is due to local politics - perhaps someone in
the area
> knows more? I recall David Potter telling me that he tried to buy
the bells
> but they wouldn't sell them.
>
> David

You are absolutely right.   There has always been very fierce
opposition locally to the bells, or even the peal boards, being moved
anywhere.   At one point there was a plan to transfer ring to Stone
(the Staffordshire one), but this fell by the wayside because such a
fuss was kicked up in Hanley.

As has been said, the situation is deplorable, but the North
Staffordshire Association has tried very hard indeed to get things
sorted out.

Richard