Nearest to 1000 peals

Mike Chester mike at QvgdybbpNReoTLQVK_nATMlZEnKalpWgcwqYq-cTz4xCGqZgv4Da-eyc2CmWvFuyym5DOfird6mG8fhedsZPJB3ITCNV9gE.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jan 17 23:50:14 GMT 2007

Does anyone keep record of near misses to 1000 peals?  I asked Bill
Butler if someone I ring with quite often is likely to be the oldest
person to reach 1000 peals, it seems unlikely as he will only be 84, I
think! Len Stilwell was 85yrs 100 days when he reached this milestone.
I was wondering what would happen if Stan gave up peal ringing in the
next few months!

Bill tells me that the nearest miss he has is Bert Prewitt, who was on
953 at the time he was killed in WWI in 1918.  Does anyone know of
anyone that got closer?

Mike