[Bell Historians] Re: Devon Bells

edward martin edward.w.martin at fEEgnDFEyqnyPmsgNLjrA4ZmLRMlv1wGC9ObMw_4kjkZ7FMRMDfyWQYJHLAwQot9t5NYdeCsfJg_doeIMKLvuJQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jan 22 19:49:33 GMT 2007

I'm sorry Frank but 'plate layer ' is very definitely ENGLISH.  One of the
blokes who taught me to ring (Frank Arnold) was a plate layer on the old LMS
line on a section from Market Harborough to Leicester ...ofcourse the
'plates' were already laid, but his job -as I understood 50 years ago was to
walk the stretch and test every plate especially the 'fish plate' at the
expandable joint, to note any that were in bad shape, and to replace them

mew