Big bells in Oz

billy_clarke03 billy_clarke03 at jMYpw5spscHqWf_oTKuVOkdCQmZrcBakBOxqj9ItMnyAUNjkhI1N-opyx815PQhetN9JMETPltzvPGHi23arf4amSw.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jan 31 08:32:54 GMT 2007

I heard the GPO clock strike 6:00 pm today and it is a fine sounding
bell. I didn't hear it chime the quarters beforehand though.

The nearby town hall clock has quarter chimes but they have been out
of sync for at least 2 years (I live within earshot of them).

Antiquarian horologists must be thin on the ground in Sydney.

Billy Clarke.

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bagley" <david at ...>
wrote:

> Stumbled over this today at :-
> http://warrenfahey.com/Sydney-Folklore/SECTION-14/sfp-section-14-
observation

> Can anybody add to the details?
>
> David.
>

> SYDNEY POST OFFICE CLOCK.
> May 4 1891
>
> Cast in England in 1890 "the castings have come out remarkably
successful,
> possessing very rich tone, especially the 5-ton tenor bell. Its
fine, full
> resonance being greatly admired. Canon Cattley (Worchester
Cathedral who