[Bell Historians] Birmingham RC Cath

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at WTIMAS2Ek5FGEIKIJqeEGv9iJu3CAt_vc_D1ymA9yn11wtVaVY19-jGPXIjI9MU0cU0hEOVFYdNMIIozLIvG.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jan 31 22:20:50 GMT 2007

What is the difference between an RC Cathedral and a Basilica. You
get lots of Basilicas abroad.

David

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Cawley" <dave at ...>
wrote:

> Metropolitical is apparently Church of England usage, apparently
an adjective deriving from Mertroplitan when that is used as a noun.
The Metropolitical Cathedral is the Seat of the Primate and
Metropolitan of the Province; that of the Primate of All England and
Metropolitan being Canterbury, and that of the Primate of England
and Metropolitan being York.

> The Church in Wales elects its Archbishop, styled The Archbishop
of Wales who can be any one of the six Diocesan Bishops - he does
not have to move to Llandaff (Dr Williams, the previous Archbishop,
was Bishop of Monmouth, with his Cathedral at Newport). I have never
heard of a Welsh Cathedral styling itself Metropolitical or
Metropolitan.

> Scotland is much the same: the chief Bishop (The Primus) does not
have to be the Bishop of Edinburgh and I am not aware of any
Metropolitical church.

> Ireland parallels England (other than it elects its Bishops), with
two Provinces. Thus the Archbishop of Armagh is Primate of All
Ireland and Metropolitan, and the Archbishop of Dublin & Glendalough
is Primate of Ireland and Metropolitan. As far as I am aware Armagh
Cathedral does not use the title Metropolitical; whilst Dublin has
the Cathedral Church of The Holy Trinity (commonly called Christ
Church), Metropolitan Cathedral of the United Provinces of Dublin
and Cashel. It also has the National Cathedral and Collegiate Church
of St Patrick which has a common relation to all the Dioceses of the
Church of Ireland but is not Metropolitical or Metropolitan.

> The Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales has five Provinces
each containing a number of Dioceses from three in Wales to seven in
Liverpool. The Metropolitan Cathedrals are Westminster, Birmingham,
Cardiff, Liverpool and Southwark. All much simpler!

> To add gilt to the gingerbread, St Chad's in Birmingham has the
status of a minor Basilica; and of course it is the only one of the
five with a ring of bells!