Territorial Societies.

alanaj8283 aaj.buswell at XlQs20Yku_GuUUG2g0qDpsH9iP0yoJT-felYCZqxaSAVInTE_Hc265I8lhr4Tbm0fl8J3sPv1OAvSeBUXymshEUdORQ4.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jul 17 09:50:36 BST 2007

I wonder if I might write on a subject I know nothing about? It is
the nameing of our territorial societies. Why are some societies
called 'associations', 'districts', 'guilds' and 'societies? (The OED
will tell us the meaning of each word but may be not in this
context). After all, we all ring, I hope, for the Church so why not
all use the same name? Then some have in their
title 'county'. 'district' or 'diocesan'. Do the ringers in the
latter ring for the Bishop and the Church while in the former two
ring for the Lord Lieutenant of the County or whoever and therefore
are secular societies? Who are their Patrons?
Then there are the geographical boundries. How do the county and
district boundries (changed in 1974) fit in with the diosesan
boudries? Surly they are within a diocese so why are they not so
called? This seems to make an ass of the Central Council of CHURCH
Bell Ringers by non conformaty.
Also there seem to be societies that cover the same area, i.e the xyz
Diocesan Guild and the XYZ District Association. This seems to be a
duplication of effort locally so why not amalgamate? After all the
C.C. is looking for reform. We have already seen the demist of one
county association and the possible renameing of another. Perhapps a
study of the situation would not go amiss.

AAJB