[Bell Historians] Oxford

Richard Offen richard.offen at hcE5nJ-1Khv9f4dzx0dg2V9NzgCreTNe36mI1WZTDgiS5iE6PGoRQsPIBRT9VZrad9Wt9Hve9lA8nSMxpkT2D6xpgw.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jun 10 01:30:54 BST 2007

> To return to the Oxford bell: Richard said something about Fred
ringing it before it was rehung. Old age is creeping up on Richard as
sure as it has on me. We were both (well, I was) at a lecture given by
Fred in Tenterden when the great man showed "before" and "after" prints
of Great Tom; and it was in a pretty derelict condition. What Fred said
was that everyone wanted the bell rehung in time for the Coronation,
except the then Christ Church Bursar, who would of course be paying the
cheque. He relented on one condition, "That when Great Tom is rehung,
Sharpe will be the first one to ring the bell, and when Tom Tower
collapses, the villain will perish with it!"

I was confined to barracks with chickenpox when Fred gave his lecture
at Tenterden, so missed the whole thing!