[Bell Historians] Oxford

Stephen Ivin s.ivin at fyrtlCp2zyjoDdTb54r9Asrv0_sjxBO7hvhmVfskAkxrdHmlQsnFjBRK9L46XWA6LXqcgBbn_Z0_YAPznAEt.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jun 10 09:17:50 BST 2007

I have (somewhere) some video of Gt Tom in action. It is interesting
that double clappering starts virtually immediately the bell is moved.
The clapper/bell contact occurs just _after_ the bell has reversed its
direction!

If Simon had seen one of the big continental bells in action I don't
think he would describe the sound as 'satisfying' - more like pathetic.
There is some good footage of the Vienna Pummerin in action on a DVD -
'Requiem for Mozart', Decca, 1992 recording, in the course of a Requiem
Mass conducted by the (since somewhat tarnished) Hans Herman Cardinal
Groer, with Solti, VPO etc.

This bell (ca 21 tons) strikes about every 2 seconds, compared with Gt
Paul (ca 17 tons), every 4 seconds, and the hum builds up dramatically.
(Gt Tom strikes ca. 2.5 secs.) No counterbalance to the clapper, either
- just a fairly long flight. I've watched the 'operator', who stands at
the control panel right alongside the bell, bringing the bell 'down'
with clappering right maintained to the very last. (He smirked to his
accompanying party.)

IMHO it's a pity our bellhangers/founders have been so obsessed with
this feeble way of hanging big bells!

Steve