Berlin, Freedom Bell

Bill Hibbert bill at t25RM_EUhAj07EQaMUKYufwCMyaVdqfY2q4VHnOaT3l0hM5oShH1ysu7Erdp3eMN08cvjXxjDMliPHGV.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jun 19 09:07:56 BST 2007

Continuing my virtual tour of the great bells of Europe, I came across
a recording of the above bell linked from the GCNA website. The bell
was cast by G&J in 1950. CSZ's commentary includes the following:
* Cast at 218 cwt; reduced to 190 cwt by tuning
* An MP3 soundtrack supposedly records this bell but the pitch is
wrong (B-flat instead of E).

The supposed pitch of B-flat is the secondary strike, in fact the
tuning figures from the recording (which includes a lot of birdsong!)
are as follows:
hum: 86.7 Hz?? -2332 cents below nominal
prime: 151.9 Hz?? -1361 cents
tierce: 198.2 Hz -900 cents
nominal: 333.4 Hz E+19.
Hum and prime are rather uncertain due to the quality of the recording.

I was interested that G&J, in 1950, would cast a bell with such a flat
prime. Does anyone have the actual tuning figures to see if this is
really so?

Regards,

Bill H