'Unsafe' towers

Mike Chester mike at l5kfKBFddb-ZcX8MenBwZsRYaJbyj35nNdMn76RKVDGmToIDuh1ld026_hMmW8ibusuwGAkuCZcoZBR7Sa8VlnuHgGkc.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jun 22 18:47:15 BST 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "George Dawson" <george at ...>
wrote:
> If my memory serves me correctly, were not the 8 at Durham Cathedral
>banned from 'long lengths' by their architect. After restoration &
>augmentation to 10 (& the demise of their man) the situation changed.

They were restricted to something such as 10 minutes ringing and ten
minutes waiting for the tower to stop. Given that it was a complete
rehang one would expect that tower considerations would be taken into
account in terms of planning the job.

Mike