Heywood

Bill Hibbert bill at y0fZePGeBWPmV8Qn_hIzEnPQELWCqunZL7XX5pjFm3OYRAP_SDKQlDmPGvLNrJjekd6i8hVDKohEOyQ.yahoo.invalid
Fri Mar 2 17:03:11 GMT 2007

JBP:

> There does seem to be a bit of a mystery about the
Heywood recasting.

The story as told to me by John Partington, whose father was tower
captain at the time, is that the tenor of the 1911 (from memory)
peal cracked in 1921 (again from memory). G&J replaced the whole
peal free of charge. I can imagine this was kept quiet at the time
to avoid bad publicity and more free bells. Certainly I remember
that G&J had a bad reputation in the Manchester area when I was a
child, whether as a result of Heywood or other problems I don't know.

One of the G&J bells at Banstead also cracked in the middle '20s.

The particular problem (see Elphick's Craft of the Bellfounder for
another example) seems to have been excessive thinness in the
shoulder.

Bill H