[Bell Historians] Gloucester Cathedral

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at VRxEIwh4qWGGOYfMAcC4adFGnbCRRdwSuZcrv3yEM0iQCSsH5M6tPDOu5bWzHMYBQqn-3Eje3aowfEzsEg.yahoo.invalid
Sat Mar 3 12:50:08 GMT 2007

I'd say it would be a good opportunity to recast the Rudhall growlers! As
they stood, Gloucester were hardly a "rewarding" twelve to ring on.

The 11th was probably the best bell in the tower. It's been interesting to
note while getting the tuning figures for Taylor restorations in the Diocese
of Monmouth, that larger bells by the Monmouth Penningtons tend to be close
to true-harmonic. For example, the remarkable tenor at Dingestow, cast by
John I in 1656. 38.75 inches in diameter, 8-2-3 as received, 8-0-9 after
removal of canons, nominal 739.6 Hz = F-sharp - 1 cent. The partials are
739.6, 554.1, 439.7, 369.8, 184.9; the bell was not tuned by Taylors when
they restored the bells in 1914. The errors in cents of the partials with
respect to the nominal are quint -2, tierce -16, prime 0, hum 0. The tenor
at Trellech, cast by the same founder in 1642 and also left untouched in the
1998/2000 Taylor restoration, is 34.75 inches, 7-1-8, A +39. Figures are
900, 652, 538, 433, 225, errors w.r.t. nominal are -60, -6, -67, 0.

Andrew Bull

  _____