[Bell Historians] Gloucester Cathedral

David Cawley dave at 9N_djnPR6m-rawKGvYibCul7QTfGGloV1ASMSsUwfJqMLj-79p8Bl0Dh8v4I8EWQSwTFPpiE1_q7ImMERVDq2mmJ.yahoo.invalid
Sat Mar 3 20:08:26 GMT 2007

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Offen
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2007 2:51 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Gloucester Cathedral

  Richard wrote:
  As has so often been the case, I think you'll find they were retained
  because of lack of funds to do anything else. I also seem to remember
  Gilbert Turlow telling me that the Cathedrals Advisory Committee
  desired them to be retained.

  An interesting recollection, but I don't think it was the CAC but Gilbert himself! 9,10,11 were retained on the grounds of historic interest. The 8th and the tenor were kept because they were Gloucester bells. Douglas Hughes told me at the dedication that he wished they could have recast the tenor "what a poor breathless thing"), but it was Gilbert's own wish that it should be retained. As Richard says, and Gilbert also told me, money for the work was not easy to raise.

  Whatever they do to the 11th now, perhaps the opportunity will present itself to replace the poor weak tenor with something worthy of the Dean who as Vicar of Yarmouth presided over the installation of those fine bells.

  DLC