[Bell Historians] Gloucester Cathedral

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at ReIAkrecrqG9knoe9pmx4qB5etPtP50buBC1pSLMB9ktZXaI1UgH3-Jkkenzh7d_LKiTuM1zzI3z-ZdYN1ogq0sK9Q.yahoo.invalid
Sun Mar 4 12:49:01 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant" > significance
> I think it is more a case that it was one of a number of over-
conservative
> projects which took place at around this time with disappointing
results.
> The other obvious example is Durham Cathedral.

Yes Durham should have been retained either for chiming in 1 of the
front towers or on display and a new 10 or 12 cast.

It was made worse by putting a lead lined concrete floor under the
bells which takes every ounce of hum out of them (not that there is
much to be had anyway). They are better outside but inside just make
clashing noises. A complete disappointment and completely out of
character with the building.

It may have had something to do with the very arrogant architect
they had (He has now retired) who we also encountered when we did St
Matthews Newcastle. He wouldnt listen to any outside opinions, held
things up for an eternity and then charged a fortune for revamping
documents provided by others. A nightmare!