Stanton St John

Alan Birney alanjbirney at fVqJKQUx8lxXMBVlcWl0XzDYqRZrfElUfZNbXNT76Ieh3732oGNAgE3fw07wzCUkymoGXgb3n0LwHwHx5WSfPA.yahoo.invalid
Tue Mar 13 11:54:54 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Richard Offen"
<richard.offen at ...> wrote:

> So what does this all set out to achieve?   Justification for a
quick
> grab and then on to the next 'unringable' on the list of 'towers
needed
> to finish the county'?

       Having been out with Rod to look at several "silent" rings. I
can verify that he does all this work on a voulantry basis at no
cost to the PCC or anyone else and many Churches have benifitted- If
anything, more are needed like him.

       I've seen silent rings where the bells have been condemned by
Branch/Guild/Association Advisors without any valid justification,
for example bits of wheel shrouding missing, bells loose on thier
stocks, etc. The main criteria here should be that the installation
in safe and when the bells are rung, are they having no detrimental
effect on the tower.

      Back in 1997, Barnoldswick were going to try and get the bells
ringable at a low cost with a view to having them rehung and
augmented for the millenium- This was killed by a Branch Advisor
with no connection to the Bradford diocese (which we are in). To cut
a long story short, Barnoldswick were advised that the bells would
not be safe to ring even if necesary remedial work was carried out-
the Vicar and PCC will confirm this if needed.

        For the sake of £230 (for materials) and a lot donated
labour on my part (with later local assistance) , the bells were
made ringable (including a new headstock on the second), and yes,
the bells are safe and are having no detrimental effect on the tower-
 We've reports (after the work was done)from Taylors and Adrian
Dempster of Ward Cole Associates to prove it.

         This is one example of an instance where an Advisor didn't
know better- We have a replacement eight bell frame to be installed,
We've placed an order (and paid for) with Taylors for some fittings
and Taylors will be casting new bells for the scheme ater this year.

       Well done Rod, if more people got motivated like you, there
would be less unringables around.

Alan