[Bell Historians] Re: Stanton St John

Alan Birney alanjbirney at 5SngmvLAozwimTDjQSymL9U1AiyEw8vkzcBuZBT5pBk3lcnYoU1nKNARUGjr9lBN16g5HL95uEUfq168-L_F62ZdILY.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 14 09:01:27 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Richard Offen"
<richard.offen at ...> wrote:

> > Is not a DAC Bells Advisor there to *advise the DAC*, should a
Parish
> wish
> > to do work on the bells which requires a faculty?.  Or have I
> > over-simplified?
> >
> > It is up to the Parish, surely, to decide who should do the work.
> >
> > John Cater
> >

> Unless things have changed radically since I was a DAC advisor,
the
> role of an advisor is to give expert advice to the DAC in order
that it
> can consider each faculty application in a manner that will result
in
> an outcome that is in the best interests of the parish and the
fabric
> of its church.   It most definitely the role of the consultant to
> advise the DAC if he/she considers the proposed work is what is
> required and will be carried out competently and safely by the
> contactor or volunteer group chosen by the parish.
>
> This surely is the whole point of having expert advisors.
>
> For the obvious reasons of accountability and liability, advisors
are,
> in most cases, almost bound to recommend work is carried out by a
> professional body, who have the requisite qualifications and
indemnity
> cover (one hopes!) for the work required.

        I think the term "expert" is not quite right. I think most
on here will know of or encountered DAC Advisors who are
not "experts".
         it was my understanding that a DAC Advisor should give
sensible, unbiased reccomendations about work that may be needed,
and if a particular scheme gives value for money, etc.

        I can't quite see how we have "expert" Advisors, unless they
have previousley had a long time in employment with a Churchbell
hanging company or a long mechanical engineering experiance.

      If I use an example, someone who is a "proffesional" Gardner
who rings bells and has no mechanical background- if they are
appointed as a DAC Advisor, how can they be an expert?   They might
replace the odd rope or broken stay and they might have some common
sense, but does that make them an expert?

Alan