[Bell Historians] Re: Stanton St John

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at M2rL7Vkkn0UYkMZQtsAe6HVTzgQQsMaVY0DERXyVX0RXm7QuUkK2h7lSaXrX5VAYUl8HXqdMDvyvY6QhsvkmRHQ1.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 14 09:41:43 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Alan Birney"
<alanjbirney at ...> wrote:

>         I think the term "expert" is not quite right. I think most
> on here will know of or encountered DAC Advisors who are
> not "experts".
>          it was my understanding that a DAC Advisor should give
> sensible, unbiased reccomendations about work that may be needed,
> and if a particular scheme gives value for money, etc.
>
>         I can't quite see how we have "expert" Advisors, unless
they
> have previousley had a long time in employment with a Churchbell
> hanging company or a long mechanical engineering experiance.
>
>       If I use an example, someone who is a "proffesional" Gardner
> who rings bells and has no mechanical background- if they are
> appointed as a DAC Advisor, how can they be an expert?   They
might
> replace the odd rope or broken stay and they might have some
common
> sense, but does that make them an expert?

A similar situation exists with EH. A report I received from them
started off by saying 'On such and such a date, our expert on bell
frames, Mr ..... ......., visited....'.

I was completely baffled as to what made this person an expert since
he had essentially just come out of the blue with no bell hanging
experience that I or anyone else knew of. His advice made little
sense at the time.