[Bell Historians] Accedents, was Stanton St John

Richard Offen richard.offen at Akj6dK2J-qiDNoP0fjvo2PMV9nhXSV_pDOP1qmOF4n1Pa_fFJYJJXQe65Nwhs8rdSXilsk99-2cTtVHAR1szzhw1.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 14 12:40:07 GMT 2007

> 1, St Peters St Albans
> Sudden failure of 5th gudgeon.
> the bell ground to a halt with minimal damage and no injury.
> Cause, when Whitechapel put the bell on balls they turned down the
> existing gudgeon to to small a diameter to fit a sleeve to make it
take
> a standard baring. It fatigued and snapped cleanly.

Presumably the old ring and not the present one?

> 2 Waltham Abby
> Failed Gudgeon
> the bell came to a halt severely damaging the wheel. no injury. Taylor
> installation cause unknown

Again ,an old installation, so I would imagine the likelihood of failure
is greater.

> 3 Hitchin tenor came away from headstock.
> Nothing came through and there was no injury.
> Shortly after a professional rehang. I cannot remember the cause of
the
> failure.

The gudgeon broke - in the opinion of quite a number of engineers, the
gudgeons were grossly under size for the weight of bell.

> 4 the well documented failure at Settle.
> No injury and minimal damage.

> Another point worth making, if a professional job goes wrong, large
sums
> are involved and the trail of responsibility can be unclear and
> expensive to resolve.
>
> If an armature job goes wrong then much less money is involved and in
> all probability little will be actually lost, in that unringable bells
> remain unringable, but no worse than before.
> the worst I know about is a project which died after dismantling a lot
> of the ringing gear. Those who were the "movers" just gave up.

I wonder if a 'slick' lawyer would see it like that?!