St John's Church Hanley

Giles Blundell GRBlundell at yqJw66IfVgGhz7SP5M1-ZoZFG6Vs1qyeAw47ud1mdLHH4DKuSpK86BUyGmmpVLFAX07UghM_Qw9OFBI.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 14 13:44:53 GMT 2007

Richard Grigson (by way of John Ketteringham):

On Wednesday this week I have a meeting with a conservation architect from
the City Council regarding the general issues surrounding the building and
the specific issue of listed building consent for removal of the bells.

"David Bryant" David.Bryant at ha43wSkieLUjvUmvqhq-u3_vQq7a7AHz9edj62GqgExQXnoX18vSO0FTtWpnL8GPjvFN1CMfDYXiJ2A-1V8.yahoo.invalid
 Date: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:51 am ((PDT))

Has the church been officially deconsecrated then? Under normal
circumstances the bells could be removed under faculty without requiring
planning permission.

David

- apologies if this point has been covered and moved on, but I follow the list on digest.

And my knowledge is probably imperfect, coming as it does from serving on a local authority planning committee (ie I'm not a planning professional) and being no more than an interested observer of the church faculty process from a safe distance.

But Mr Grigson referred to 'listed building consent'. This is not the same as planning permission.

As I understand it, ecclesiastical exemption gets the CofE (among others) out of needing planning permission - but not out of needing listed building consent.

Cheers

Giles Blundell
Liverpool