[Bell Historians] Re: St John's Church Hanley

Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK) roderic.bickerton at -lPM9Sj4Eeem5fD5yLQKrUDB6yrEMWDDJi9WrOPsKmFXpA3ULm7SMPThORRQblWDfnrAXqEl3zxtBfMFR9_8AUr9SYNy5uSB.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 14 17:27:42 GMT 2007

Have a look at this: the suggestion of money is a surprise!

Our ref: GEMar2007(30)

Dear Mr Bickerton,

WAR MEMORIALS TRUST

Thank you for contacting War Memorials Trust, the national charity dedicated to the protection and conservation of our war memorial heritage.

With regards to the memorial bells in St John's Church, I would suggest that you contact your local Conservation Officer - normally in the Planning Department of the Local Authority.  The Conservation Officer should be able to tell you if there are any plans in place for the removal and storage/relocation of the memorial bells.  However, if there are no plans in place then the local Conservation Officer will be able to help with formulating any plans.

War Memorials Trust does run a Small Grants Scheme which can help with the funding of all types of war memorial projects.  The scheme can fund up to 50% of costs up to a maximum of £1500, which maybe of some help with the costs of removing and relocating the memorial bells.  If you would like any more information about the grant scheme, please do contact me.

I should also mention that you may wish to make a record of the memorial bells in their original position for the UK National Inventory of War Memorials (contact details below) based at the Imperial War Museum.  The Inventory aims to compile a comprehensive record of all war memorials in the UK.

UK National Inventory of War Memorials

c/o Imperial War Museum

Lambeth Road

London

SE1 6HZ

T: 020 7207 9863/9851

E: memorials at 44KCcCL9VwgG3swZ2IGK_CPgiHcR-u2vSSUJhQbQSij7nIC7lgLSI-IAkQfpFycXKQHTSE2XiPB5N2nK.yahoo.invalid

W: www.ukniwm.org.uk <http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/>

I hope that this information helps with your query, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Miss Nancy Treves

Administrator

Protecting and Conserving War Memorial Heritage

War Memorials Trust 4 Lower Belgrave Street London SW1W 0LA

Telephone: charity: 020 7259 0403 fax: 020 7259 0296

Web: email: nancy at fkMUyHmTHVmGVSFC7gJpWeZE1LhAxc2H1A57U6HKlPuvZwcNE9F3MYNrw8LqCMpX0wphQMZo7DMhqQc-Haik.yahoo.invalid or info at CRyRbwTp-AsxM2BDbzDdDriSXcizsgcbXs06a39B2URLZ55MjqbAwPcY7qUj_D9s4VMJQj1F0gCNG5aV.yahoo.invalid  www.warmemorials.org

Registered Charity Number: 1062255